Largo reverses course, backs 15% stormwater fee increase

LARGO — The city commission reversed course this week and backed a 15% increase in stormwater fees after flood-weary residents urged them to spend more on the city's drainage system.

Commissioners had initially approved a 7.5% increase last month, halving the 15% increase that city staff had recommended.

Largo promotes flood awareness and preparedness in a city social media post. Commissioners voted Aug. 18 to advance a 15% increase in stormwater fees after residents from flood-prone neighborhoods urged the city to address drainage problems.Photo from City of Largo.

But at their Aug. 18 meeting, commissioners reconsidered after hearing from residents of New Haven, Lincolnshire, Willowbrook and other neighborhoods who described flooded homes and questioned whether canals and other parts of the drainage system are being properly maintained.

“It's just a matter of when, not if, it hits us again,” said Jane Paspa, a Lincolnshire Mobile Home Park resident whose home took on 3 feet of water during Hurricane Milton in 2024. “So I'm begging, please listen. This is important to all of us.”

Laura Royal, a New Haven condominium resident, said about 150 of the 177 homes in her section were lost to flooding, leaving residents unable to return and their ruined furniture and drywall piled along the roads.

“But we have this beautiful building and all we're asking is to dredge,” Royal said. “That can't cost that much money.”

The commission voted 7-0 to restore the full 15% increase, which would raise the monthly stormwater charge for a typical residential property by $2.66.

Because commissioners changed the ordinance approved on first reading, it must return for another public hearing Sept. 3.

Vice Mayor Chris Johnson said the city has struggled with inadequate stormwater funding for years. He warned that delaying increases would ultimately delay drainage projects.

The city has major stormwater projects waiting to be completed, he said, and commissioners already know additional rate increases will be necessary.

“By pushing it out, I think we're just delaying pain and we're taking projects off the board that we need to get done,” Johnson said.

The about-face followed a lengthy public comment session, as speaker after speaker raised concerns about flooding in the Starkey Road drainage basin.

Greg Gardner, who spoke on behalf of residents from several neighborhoods, displayed a map of the basin and argued that years of inadequate maintenance have restricted drainage. He pointed in particular to a culvert at Donegan Road that he said is a choke point for water moving through the system.

Residents called on the city to inspect and dredge canals and address vegetation and sediment they say are restricting the flow of stormwater.

But city officials noted responsibility for maintaining the drainage system isn't always clear-cut. Portions are privately owned, while others are the city's responsibility.

City Manager John Curp said Largo will maintain areas where it has a clear obligation and work with private property owners elsewhere. The city is still determining exactly where some of those responsibilities begin and end.

Commissioners also asked staff to examine culverts downstream, including the one at Donegan Road, to determine whether vegetation or debris is restricting them or whether larger culverts may be needed.

Commissioner Michael Smith said he previously supported splitting the 15% increase in half while the city awaits completion of a stormwater rate study.

After meeting with staff and listening to residents, though, Smith said he was prepared to support the full increase.

“These residents here are just the tip of the iceberg of people that had situations in their homes that must be dealt with,” he said.

Smith cautioned residents that paying more will not mean their particular flooding problems will immediately be fixed. Largo has numerous stormwater projects competing for funding, he said.

Commissioner John Lauser, who had suggested splitting the increase at the previous meeting, also reconsidered.

“There’s a lot of people concerned about stormwater,” he said. “And I don't know, it feels irresponsible to kick some projects off the list.”

The city's Finance Advisory Board also recommended the full 15% increase. Staff said the city's stormwater maintenance program has a major backlog and that Largo has been working toward higher rates since 2022.

Even with either a 7.5% or 15% increase, Largo's rates would remain comparable to those of other municipalities.

Commissioner Curtis Holmes also favored the full increase.

“If this was a tax, I'd be up in arms,” Holmes said. “But this isn't a tax, it's a fee. And it's a fee we're gonna have to pay one way or another.”

“Get 'er done.”